Unofficial site - historical purposes only
On July 1st, 2009 the two parishes of Queen of Peace, Normanhurst, and Our Lady of the Rosary, Waitara, came together to form the one parish, Hornsby Catholic Parish.
This Queen of
Peace web site is NO longer being updated but remains for historical
Unofficial site - All information below for historical purposes only
Queen of Peace Parish started on the 2nd Sunday of May, 1971 in Loreto Chapel and stayed for SIX years. In July, 1977 we moved into our present church, so we had a 25th anniversary in 2002. Click for more on QOP Background & History.
Click above for details on the celebrations we had for our 25th anniversary.
Queen of Peace
18 Stuart Avenue,
Normanhurst, NSW 2076
Father Francis Vaughan
Office Telephone and Fax:
Electronic mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Web address - current: www.tovegin.com.au/normanhurst/
Back to Top
Weekend Mass times:
- Saturday Vigil Mass: 6:30pm (Guitar group and singers);
- Sunday: 7:00am (Organ and lead singer),
- Sunday: 9:30am (Organ and lead singer),
- Sunday: 6.30pm (Second guitar and instrument group).
Daily Mass times:
- Monday: 7:00am
- Tuesday, Thursday & Friday: 9:15am
- Wednesday evening: 7:30pm
- Saturday: 7:30am
- Saturday: 5-6:00pm
- Wednesday evening: Before Mass (7:15pm)
- Friday morning (except last Friday of the month); after 9:15am Mass
Stations of the Cross (during Lent)
- Each Friday during Lent; after 9:15am Mass.
- Last Friday of the month; after 9:15am Mass.
Eucharistic Adoration (Exposition of Blessed Sacrament):
- Third Wednesday evening of the month: After Mass (until 10:00pm)
Please confirm with Parish Priest
Weddings, Funerals, Baptisms:
- Please contact Parish Priest
Masses other than English:
- Please contact Parish Priest
St Vincent de Paul Society:
- Meets every Wednesday at 8pm in the annex off the Church Hall
Back to Top
- Our Lady of the Rosary School, Waitara (mainly)
- St Agatha's, Pennant Hills
- Prouille at Wahroonga
- St Leo's College (Co-ed) (mainly)
- Loreto College, Normanhurst (Girls)
- Mount St Benedict's High School, Pennant Hills (Girls)
Back to Top
There is a church secretary and many groups in the parish as follows:
- Four organists
- Eight guitarists
- Three recorder players.
- Mixed Choir (sing once a month). (With an award winning Choir director !)
- See Queen of Peace - Normanhurst - Choir Program for dates for 2002
Social and Care:
- Catholic Women's League;
- Nine family groups of approximately eight families in each. Click for more info.
- 12 active St Vincent de Paul Society members;
- Prayer and Bible study Group;
- Veritas have moved - Click for more info
Serving the Parish:
- 30 Catechists (includes 15 primary, 6 secondary as well as relief and helpers) (click for list of names);
- 12 Special Ministers (Visitations, Communion to the Sick);
- 25 Altar Servers;
- 10 Church Wardens;
- 50 Lectors;
- 14 Altar Society (flowers);
- 11 groups of Housekeepers of the Lord (church cleaners);
- 25 groups Collection Counters;
- 4 Grounds Committee;
- Sacristan - Sylvan Fernandes;
- Finance Committee;
- St Vincent de Paul Society
Back to Top
Formation of new Parish Committees:
In accordance with Bishop David Walker's wishes, the parishes of the Broken Bay Diocese will standardise their structures and include the following committees. In keeping with the Bishop's wishes, Normanhurst is forming the committees by seeking volunteers. Some have been asked to participate. Those who are involved are listed below. Eventually the groups listed above could be sorted into the appropriate group below.
- Parish Council
- Bernard Richards
Click here to see more on the Normanhurst Sacramental Program
Family Life - to learn what the Diocese requires of such a group
Evangelisation - to learn how such a group would work in a parish
Click here to see our Normanhurst Youth Ministry section.
Ecumenism - to organise gatherings with other Christian denominations
Louis & Chimene Hortense
Back to Top
Background and History
Visit our new, more complete history section.
Back to Top
Thanks to The Catholic Weekly for the photos below, from it's issue, Vol 52, No. 2966 dated Wednesday, Sept 1, 1993. Appears the original photos or negatives don't exist, so a colour scanner was used to capture the photos direct from an original copy of the paper so they could be shown here.
Inside of Queen of Peace - Normanhurst
Outside of Queen of Peace - Normanhurst
Click here to visit our growing gallery
Back to Top
Activities of Note
World Day of Prayer - 2003
This year our Parish hosted the World Day of Prayer in our local area. It took place on Friday, March 7th at 7:30pm in our Church. This is an ecumenical event which the three Christian Churches in Normanhurst (Anglican, Uniting, Catholic) take turns to present. As the hosts for 2003 it was wonderful to have a strong representation of our parishioners at the evening.
25th Anniversary of the Queen of Peace Church at 18 Stuart Ave, Normanhurst.
On Friday 25 October, 2002, 7:30pm, Queen of Peace - Normanhurst had a a dinner in the church hall to celebrate the 25th year of our church. There was no charge, the celebration is on the Parish. Wine cask, fruit juice and soft drinks were provided, otherwise it was BYO. It was a happy gathering.
Parish Exchange - Aussie BBQ & sing-a-long
Another major QOP Normanhurst Social event of 2002! Friday, 15 Nov, 2002: 6:30 to 10:30pm. Queen of Peace welcomed St. Thomas a'Beckett, Canton (near Detroit) Michigan USA. Over 40 parishioners travelled with their Parish Priest Fr. Kelly (yes a good Irishman) and visited Australia. They wanted to meet some "locals". So a BBQ, drinks and sing-a-long was arranged for the evening at the QOP Parish Hall. For more info contact email@example.com or phone 9875-3497.
An aside - Fr Kelly is the Parish Priest for St. Thomas a'Beckett, where Larry Czarnik's parents are parishioners.
30th Anniversary of our Parish
In July 2001, Queen of Peace - Normanhurst celebrated the 30th anniversary of the parish. There were two functions to celebrate. The first was on Friday 29th June 2001, in the Church Hall at 7:30pm. The second was on Sunday 1st July, 2001 in the Church Hall after 9:30am Mass. Food and some drinks were provided. There were two sheets in the Church Porch. On the appropriate sheet, names and the numbers of persons attending were listed.
Click here to see photos of the celebration.
Back to Top
Links to Other Sites
(hold mouse over logo for details, click on logo to go there in a new browser window)
|i.e. pages where Queen of Peace web site references appear.|
Comments and Suggestions
Back to Top
What's New ?!
As a service to those who visit our site, without any endorsement for the service by QOP or it's service providers, we are trialling a new web page monitoring service and invite you to monitor our site. What does "monitor" our site mean ? Simply, enter your e-mail address and click on the "OK" button. After completing some details, the Change Detection system will send an e-mail notifying you if there are any changes to this page. Read more about it by clicking and reading "It's private". Or on the pop up info screen after you enter your e-mail address and click on the "OK" button. You will have an opportunity to find out more even before you confirm your request.
17 Mar, 2011
* Updated top of main page with Hornsby Parish announcement.
17 Feb, 2009
* Updated Comments & Suggestions to reduce spam.
23 May, 2003
* Updated Links to Other Sites to include Catholic Enquiry Centre, a faith promotion outreach of the Australian Catholic Bishops' Conference.
* Added another entry to Queen of Peace - Normanhurst - Parishioners, Current and Past.
25 Jan, 2003
* Updated Queen of Peace - Normanhurst - Sacramental Program with details of the 2003 Programme.
* News about World Day of Prayer at QOP. See Activities of Note for details.
* Added PolMin to Links to Other Sites. PolMin's recent announcement -
"Independent Australian Catholic lobbyist, the Australian Political Ministry Network (PolMin), today launched its new website. We invite members of your Parish community to visit the website and participate in the valuable work undertaken by PolMin.
The Australian Political Ministry Network Ltd (PolMin) is a national membership organisation committed to bringing about systemic change in Australian society through the influencing of public policy for the common good in accordance with the principles of Catholic social teaching.
Recently during a meeting with a group of bishops from Brazil, Pope John Paul II said that the Church can contribute to political discourse in the way it applies its social doctrine to public questions, and that Church's most appropriate contribution is its body of Social Teaching, which is designed "to facilitate the formation of the Christian conscience and the implementation of justice in human coexistence".
14 Oct, 2002
* Updated Queen of Peace - Normanhurst with details of the 25th anniversary celebration for the church and the Parish Exchange on 15 Nov, 2002. See Activities of Note for details.
10 Sept, 2002
* Updated Queen of Peace - Normanhurst - Youth Ministry with regularly schedule events.
* Added change detection service so you can get e-mail when this page changes. See above.
26 May, 2002
* Updated Queen of Peace - Normanhurst - Sacramental Program with ongoing meeting info.
* Updated Queen of Peace - Normanhurst - Youth Ministry with planned events (change to Spirituality Night date).
13 May, 2002
* Updated Queen of Peace - Normanhurst - Sacramental Program with confirmation information.
* Updated Queen of Peace - Normanhurst - Youth Ministry with planned events, History of past events and the "10 Ways that That Everyone Can Support Youth".
* Added Pastoral Council members.
* Added Queen of Peace - Normanhurst - Choir Program
04 April, 2002
* Added new reciprocal link to nearby parish. See Links to Other Sites for more detail.
29 March, 2002
* Detail now firm for 1st youth event - A BBQ - Check the special section for Queen of Peace - Normanhurst - Youth.
* More details and enrolment form for First Reconciliation and Communion on the Queen of Peace - Normanhurst - Sacramental Program pages.
* New Site Features - Site Contents and Site Search. Check them out to help you find your way around the Queen of Peace - Normanhurst web site.
14 March, 2002
* Updated the special section for Queen of Peace - Normanhurst - Youth. Check there for details of our upcoming Youth BBQ.
* Also added details about the upcoming Queen of Peace - Normanhurst - Sacramental Program
19 February, 2002
* Creation of special section for Queen of Peace - Normanhurst - Youth Ministry, including survey.
* Add time / date for Stations of the Cross during Lent.
* Add name of Sacristan
* Provide details of Queen of Peace - Normanhurst - Parish Family Groups activities.
05 October, 2001
* Introduction of Queen of Peace - Normanhurst - Parishioners, Current and Past. Please have a look and e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with comments or contributions.
30 June, 2001
* Photos of the 30th anniversary celebrations for your viewing pleasure.
29 June, 2001
* Major update for the 30th anniversary celebrations.
* Moved Veritas to their own site.
06 June, 2000
* Update a few bits, including Catechists' names.
28 February, 2000
* Inclusion of info on Veritas weekend - "Reasons for Hope II"
15 April, 1999
* Inclusion of Loreto Normanhurst site in our "Links to Other Sites". Very proudly included because of the long association with Queen of Peace Normanhurst. Loreto is mentioned in more than 1/2 of the sections of our detailed history.
* Full colour images of the invitation to the Concelebrated Mass on the occasion of Fr. Vaughan's Golden Jubilee are included in "Our History - Fr. Francis Vaughan PP - Golden Jubilee of the Priesthood".
* Veritas section has been updated, including a history of speaker and topics since 1997.
* Testing the inclusion of the Queen of Peace Parish Normanhurst Census form available for viewing (and printing)
Click on the image to get the larger version, then use your browser's print command to print. (Best if set to landscape mode). Complete and fax direct to Queen of Peach Parish office.
18 September, 1998
* Site is now relocated and updated in part to include
Queen of Peace - Normanhurst - Our History which contains -
Queen of Peace - Normanhurst - Our History - Detailed &
Queen of Peace - Normanhurst - Our History - Fr. Francis Vaughan PP - Golden Jubilee of the Priesthood.
Plans are to include -
* some or all of the contents of the Golden Jubilee Mass booklet
* remainder of 1998 event and the full 1998 event calendar for Veritas Normanhurst, our youth group.
15 September, 1997
* Added the plans for Father Vaughan's Golden Jubilee Celebrations on 20 October and 6 December.
* Updated the Veritas Young Adults Group with info on the 19 Sept. function.
* A glimpse of new committees / groups in the Normanhurst parish.
9 August, 1997
* Added next Veritas Normanhurst Young Adults Group function on 24 Aug - Dr. Lennon on natural family planning.
* Added a link to the ACBC letter on the Year 2000, Great Year of Jubilee celebrations.
26 July, 1997
Queen of Peace, Normanhurst has it's Internet World Wide Web page loaded at it's temporary address
Visit us soon and let us know what you think and what else you would like to see on the pages.
Still have plans to include -
- More info on Queen of Peace Catechists. Based on the booklet appealing for Catechists in 1997.
Back to Top